Welcome to the Online Home of the 2022 Neighborfest Program
After close to a three year hiatus, the Neighborfest program is back and better than ever. Thanks to funding provided by Supervisors Mandelman, Melgar, Safai and Stefani, the program has been updated and now provides participants with the largest suite of benefits and resources to date. Below are updates and details about the 2022 Neighborfest Season.
Please Note: Due to the nature of this year’s funding, only residents of Supervisor Districts 2, 7, 8 & 11 are eligible to participate this year. Also there are a limited number of hosting slots available – so apply as soon as possible (details below).
IMPORTANT: The Program Management Team will manage the entire SFMTA Street Closure Permitting Process and Pay the related fees. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT AN INDEPENDENT APPLICATION TO THE SFMTA! If you do, you will be responsible for the any fees incurred.
APPLICATION SUBMISSION UPDATE – PLEASE REVIEW BEFORE YOU START HOST APPLICATION
- All deadlines for events taking place before the last weekend of September have passed.
- For October 15th or 16th – Last day to apply is Monday, August 29th, 2022
- For October 22nd or 23rd– Last day to apply is Monday, September 5th, 2022
- For October 29th or 30th – Last day to apply is Monday, September 12, 2022
If you are ready to apply to host a 2022 Neighborfest in D2, D7, D8, D11- START HERE.
2022 Neighborfest Program Details
- Be over 18 years of age
- Be a resident in Districts 2,7,8 or 11
- The applicant must be a resident on the block they’re applying to host a block party
- The street must meet the requirements for a block party permit as determined by the SFMTA. The street should be residential with no more than one lane of traffic in each direction and not impact transit, metered parking, or emergency services and be admission free and open to the neighborhood.
2022 Host Benefits Summary
- Zero cost to hosts for street closure and sound permits
- Street closure barricades
- Liability insurance
- Guest registration door prizes
- Door hangers for outreach
- A Playbook to guide the Host Committee’s planning activities
- Live online orientation and host support workshops
- A dedicated program manager that provides end to end support for the application and event production process
- And more…
Application Process Overview:
- Submit a completed Block Party Application at least 6 weeks prior to the event date
- Create an “event plan” that features an outreach strategy for inviting neighbors, details about activities that will be offered at the event, and a guest safety plan
- The street closure must be free and open to the neighborhood, no sale of goods or services is permitted
How to To Apply
Please Note: Due to the nature of this year’s funding, only residents of Supervisor Districts 2, 7, 8 & 11 are eligible to participate this year. Also there are a limited number of hosting slots available – so apply as soon as possible.
Step One – Determine Your Host Eligibility
Please review the following criteria before advancing in the Neighborfest Host Application Process.
- Be at least 18 years of age and a resident of District 2, 7, 8 or 11
- Reside at an address that is on the actual block being submitted for closure
- The portion/block of the street being submitted for closure meets the City’s street closure permitting process standards which include:
- Single-day, one-block, residential street closure
- No impact to transit service and metered parking
- Non-commercial. No admission fees and no sale of goods or services
REMINDER: Hosts are welcome to reference the SFMTA Street Closure Permitting website for citywide guidance but DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION DIRECTLY TO THE SFMTA. If you should do so, you will not be reimbursed for any fees associated with the application.
Step Two – Identify the Host Committee Leads and Key Event Details
The key to a successful block party is assembling a team and crafting a great event plan. The Neighborfest Host Playbook offers step by step guidance to:
- Identify a Co-Host and Host Committee Team Members
- Design a world class Block Party
- Form Teams to implement your plan
- Produce your event and make sure everyone has fun and is safe
Step Three – Complete the Online Neighborfest Application
Once the applicant has been approved, they will be provided an invite-only link to submit their block party application at least 6 weeks prior to the event date. The application should include:
- The exact location of the street being submitted for closure
- The contact information regarding the block party co-hosts
- Details of the event plan including;
- What activities will be offered
- Special equipment needs
- The event safety plan
- Guest outreach strategy
If you have any questions, please contact:
- Daniel Homsey at email@example.com
- Livable City at firstname.lastname@example.org
Or attend one of the monthly online new hosts orientation sessions (see links above to register)